Form I 130 is the first form that needs to be filed when attempting to bring an alien relative to this country. It establishes the relationship between you, the American citizen or resident, and the alien relative who you are petitioning for. This form is important because it is the first step in the immigration process in that government approval of this form is first required before you may adjust the status of your foreign relative (get them their green card). As a United States Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder), you may begin the immigration process by petitioning for your alien spouse, child, parents, or siblings. Although the processing times to adjust your alien relatives’ status will vary based on your relationship with them, the I-130 processing time remains the same for all. It is important to file your I-130 as soon as possible— even if it may take many years to process your alien relatives’ adjust of status—because your I-130 will be given a “priority date” based on when you file that will allow you to carry out the rest of the immigration process faster. The sooner you file, the better off you are.