This form is used to remove the conditions on a temporary green card that was issued through marriage to a United States citizen or resident. When an alien obtains a green card through marriage, the/she receives a temporary green card, which essentially affords the same rights as the permanent one, such as the ability to live, work, and travel freely in and out of the country. However, since a green card through marriage is more susceptible to fraud, the government requires aliens who obtain green cards in this manner to remove the conditions from the green card after 2 years of marriage, at which point the alien spouse is eligible to apply for a permanent 10 year green card. More importantly, after just 3 years of being married to an American citizen, and just after the removal of conditions, the alien spouse is eligible for his/her citizenship.